Monday, November 24, 2014

#TBH part 2

What you can expect from me based on my own reflection:


  • No more evernote - everything on a google site
  • Links will have context, not simply presented in a list form
  • refined rubrics and project directions
  • more discussions** (provided that I don't need to focus all my attention on off task individuals)
  • I will strive to have more 1:1 check-ins

What I need from you:

  • Take responsibility for your work. You are a team and the team can't function if members don't do their jobs. We can't have a discussion as a group if people aren't keeping up. Keeping up might mean that you finish readings outside of class.
  • Respect like it was at the beginning of the year:
    • I know you know me now and most of you are pretty comfortable in my room. You know I don't yell, etc. We need mutual respect. When I ask for attention or silence, I mean it. You have time built in to your classes to be social - that is how it is designed. When I need to talk to all of you, usually for a brief minute, there is no reason for you to not be quiet and listen.
      • LISTEN means actually listening. If I give directions, follow them. 
  • Change your focus - you have a different role as a learner now. You are not a "student" in the traditional sense. You must actually work to obtain knowledge. It isn't spoon fed in lectures and notes. Part of changing your focus is knowing that you can look up anything at any time in order to assist you in your understanding. The internet is limitless for satisfying curiosity. Use it to your advantage. Take control of your learning.
  • Actually think about things. Really read. Don't skim and search for answers. Looking for answers alone limits your learning. Answers are not the same as knowledge. Knowledge is powerful and lasting. Answers are feeble and fleeting. Approach things knowing that there is a purpose. If you must seek something, seek out the purpose of the readings and videos - not the answers you hope are in them. Seeking the purpose helps you build knowledge on a deeper scale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment